Because of His crown, we can have ours.

“Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him.”

James 1:12

9.08.2011

When life gives you grapes...

My mom has been the English pastor at the Virginia Korean United Methodist church for two months now.  I  realize my close friends and family already know this (and that includes my Facebook friends too!) but, for the life of me, I can't remember if I've mentioned it on here...oops! Anyway, she is, and she loves it.  Her congregation is so kind, open-minded, and giving.  

Speaking of their generosity, last week they gave her a ten pound box of Concord grapes, and she immediately asked if we should make jelly with them.  Yes, homemade grape jelly would be delicious, but I've been there and done that with strawberries and I am NOT a huge fan of canning.  After doing some homework, I found out that a New Jersey dentist made the first Concord grape juice in 1869 with the intent to use it at the local Methodist church for Communion.  How cool is that?! Oh, and the dentist's name...Dr. Welch, of course! 

Well, that's all it took to convince my mom that she should make her own Communion juice (that and the fact that we didn't have to buy cans, sugar, and pectin)! I mean, what better way to thank the congregation for their kindness, than to turn their gift into something that represents the blood of Christ? 

 (Had to get a shot of my mom's name in Korean)

 (10 gorgeous pounds)

 (William and MeMe rinsing and separating the grapes)

 (Silly kids and their grapes)

 (Boiling down the smashed grapes)

 (Straining the juice)

 (Trying a sample!)

 (Good to the last drop!)

All in all, we got around 8 cups of this delicious nectar (thus proving why it's so expensive)! We measured and froze it in 1 cup batches, and she'll have enough for 6 months worth of Communion! 


P.S.  The kids and Sean gladly helped with the leftovers, of course! Yum!!

No comments:

Post a Comment