Because of His crown, we can have ours.

“Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him.”

James 1:12

9.03.2011

Apple of my "i".


Sometimes I worry that I don't teach him enough.  I mean, I used to be a preschool teacher, and yet I am at a loss for my child's best learning style.  I used to think that I had the ability to grab any child's attention with just a little twitch of my nose (kidding, of course...well, sort of ), but now I'm stumped.  

I think William may take the meaning of his name too literally because he is as tenacious as they come.  I say black, he says white.  I tell him "no" and he asks a million questions and then tells me why my answer should be "yes".  I've been working with him to try and get him to start making some of the letters in his name.  Mainly we've been working on "W" but having a sister with a name that begins with "M" gets confusing sometimes.  He really doesn't like to write with pen/pencil/crayon because he's a perfectionist and doesn't want it looking anything but flawless when it hits the paper (buuuuut he won't practice, so it'll never reach that level...sense my frustration?).  How to deal with this dilemma? 

Today I had an "ah ha" moment.  Shaving cream.  Yep, shaving cream will hopefully get my son to practice his letters/shapes/etc. and give him the confidence to start writing on paper.  I know he's only 3, but I can tell already that this child is going to be a tough one for me to teach (let's hope he listens better for his teacher), so I want to get things rolling in the right direction.  He didn't make a "W" today, but he tried, and then told me that he drew a "line with a dot" like in his name.  He wrote an "i".  Who needs to start at the beginning anyway?





No comments:

Post a Comment