Because of His crown, we can have ours.

“Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him.”

James 1:12


William's Sleep Study

William had his sleep study at CHKD last night, and he did WONDERFULLY! My prayer was that he wouldn't be scared, would be cooperative, and that he would sleep as per normal so the results would be accurate.  All my prayers were answered (although maybe next time I should include a "sleep for mama clause")!  

We checked in at the hospital at 7 and were taken up to our room around 8.  William was so excited for his "sleep over with mommy" and to watch his new movie- "Cars 2".  

Around 8:15 they started the process of hooking him up to all the monitors (I should have counted because there had to be at least 30).  William watched his movie while our nurse got to work.  He had monitors on his legs, foot, chest, back, head and face.  A "mask" was placed over his head to hold all the wires in place, and two monitor belts were placed on his chest and abdomen to measure his breathing movements.  Up until this point he didn't mind any of the process! 

And then there was the nasal cannula.  He absolutely hated the feeling of something tickling the inside of his nose.  I've got to be honest, that would have made me snap too.  After taping it in place, he was ready to go!

 After a nutritious snack of cheese puffs (he was stoked because he's never allowed to have them), he fell asleep while watching his movie.
 A lot of nights William wakes up crying within the first two hours of sleep.  Last night was no different.  I was actually glad he did because the monitors should be able to pick up what causes him to wake up so frantic.  Each time he woke up he tried to pull out the cannula, causing the nurse to come in and tape it back into place.

Around 1 am he finally seemed to go into a deep sleep (much like at home) and I settled into my "bed".  Up until this point I had bounced back and fourth from laying with him, to laying on the couch.  I finally dozed off and on for what seemed like hours.

When I woke up for about the 10th time, I checked the clock and it was only 2 am! William stirred a bit, and after calming him down, I went back to sleep.  What seemed like another several hours later, the nurse came back in and started to unhook him.  I was thrilled because that meant it was 5:30 and time to go home! I started to put my shoes on and pack my bag when I was told that it was only 3:00!

At this point, I thought I was going to cry! I started to worry that, for some reason, the test wasn't going to work and we'd have to do it all over again (it was the lack of sleep talking).  Then I started to feel bad because William was the one hooked up to all those wires, with that horrible "mask/hood thing" on, and a tube up his nose! I stopped whining to myself after that.

Flash forward another hour (where I thought surely 5 more had passed) and I was up again.  At that point, I just decided to stay up and do crosswords until it was time to go.  Awake time passed ten times faster than sleeping time (again, it was the lack of sleep making up my logic...or lack thereof).

6:00 crept into our room (I'm guessing the unhooked the other kid first) and William was woken up and unhooked.  I already had our bags packed and my jacket on (yes, I was just a little ready to get into my cozy bed), so I just scooped him up and  ran  left, graciously waving the whole way.

In all seriousness, CHKD really did a fabulous job and had everything down to a fine art.  I am so thankful to have such a wonderful facility so close by, if ever needed.  Also, I realize how completely blessed I am to have had my child spend the night just for observation- especially when there are so many children and their parents who practically live there.

So now, we wait.  The results of the study should be back in about 2 weeks, and then we'll go from there.  I'm praying that we'll find something out, and that it can be fixed- easily.  Thanks so much for all your prayers thus far, and I ask that you keep 'em coming!

No comments:

Post a Comment