Because of His crown, we can have ours.

“Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him.”

James 1:12

3.28.2012

Couponing Ain't for Sissies.

If you're trying to get into couponing, there's one thing you should put in the front of your mind or you won't be successful.  You have to to let go of embarrassment and speak up, if need be.  It can be hard to bring a mistake to a cashier or manager's attention, especially if there's a long line behind you or if it's an error that "only" costs you a few dollars, but you have to remember that the purpose behind couponing is to save money. You're not going to save money if you're not willing to speak up when an error occurs.  Nearly every time I checkout there is an issue with either a coupon scanning or doubling, or an item ringing up at the incorrect price.  If I were to let it "slide", then I wouldn't be saving at my highest potential, and essentially I'd be doing the extra work for nothing.


The other day I went to Harris Teeter to with the intent of scoring a second round of "triple deals".  I made sure that all my coupons matched up, and that I had no more than 20 total (their limit).  I had to do self-checkout because it was close to closing time, and all of my items scanned with no problem.  Before taking my coupons up to the cashier at the podium, I counted them again to ensure I had exactly 20.  My numbers were correct, and I proceeded to checkout.  


As the coupons were scanned in, I watched the screen and counted each one off.  It took about 5 minutes for the cashier to finish, with the help of the manager on duty.  When 14 were scanned in, they told me I could then pay.  I told them that I only counted 14 coupons and that I was absolutely certain I had 20.  The manager then told me he would put a $6.00 discount on my transaction.  I don't know where he got $6.00 from, but I believe he just guessed a number to get me through the line.  


After completing my checkout, I then went to my car and took a closer look at my receipt.  I went back, item by item, and tallied up how many of each coupon I had and should have received.  There should have been (8) $.50 coupons, (3) $.60 coupons, (8) $.75 coupons, and (1) $.55 coupon.  I only had (5) $.50 coupons, (3) $.60 coupons, (6) $.75 coupons.  That means I was missing (3) $.50 coupons, (2) .75 coupons, and a $.55 coupon- totaling $10.65.  Therefore, even with the $6.00 the manager tacked on, I still came up short $4.65.  

I went back into the store before leaving and told the manager about the error (I realize that it's only $4.65, but it's more of the principle for me).  The manager made a note of the error on my receipt, but told me he couldn't take care of it at the time because Customer Service was closed.  

Later when I got home, I wrote an email to the store manager telling him what happened (If you have an issue that is not solved while you're in the store, I highly recommend contacting the store manager.  They want to keep their customers happy and will appreciate your feedback).  My email was professional and kind, despite my frustration.  Remember, you catch more flies with honey than vinegar! Don't be rude, mean, or nasty (although I know y'all wouldn't be!) because it will just make them defensive.  Also, don't put down their employees because that doesn't make you look good.  Point out the error, but stay as positive as possible.  

Today I got a response from the manager, not via email, but by phone.  He sincerely apologized and thanked me for writing in.  He also said that he was going to mail me a $20 Harris Teeter gift card for my trouble.  I told him that I greatly appreciated it and we went on talking about the absurdity of gas prices (he was such a nice guy!). 

So, the moral of this story is, whatever you do, don't be afraid to (kindly) speak up for yourself! It definitely pays off in the long run!

No comments:

Post a Comment