Because of His crown, we can have ours.

“Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him.”

James 1:12

1.25.2012

What's up, buttercup?

It's been a busy week already! Here's what's new:

I went to the orthopedist yesterday and had an ultrasound and x-ray done of my knee where the mass was.  They were able to see that it was a fluid-filled cyst and then aspirated it.  I'm not even going to sugar coat it, THAT HURT LIKE CRAZY.  It was totally worth it though, because I now know that it was benign and it is now GONE! Yay! The doctor said that it may fill back up but, if it does, we at least know what it is and it won't have to be removed again unless it causes problems.  Praise God for answered prayers, and thanks to all who sent well-wishes!

Moving on, Madelyn had an appointment this morning with her new dentist.  We decided to switch a few weeks ago after just one appointment with our previous one.  Whew, what a mess that was!*  A few weeks ago, we found out she needed to have cavities filled.  We expected a treatment plan from our dentist, but were not given one.  Instead we were given a dental tray napkin with a list of pros and cons for fillings vs. crowns.  Seriously? Those aren't equal methods of treatment and I'm not a dental professional! How am I supposed to make that decision?

The next day I took Madelyn to my dentist for a second opinion.  He agreed that there was certainly no need to get her crowns- that fillings would definitely suffice- and then referred me to the dentist we say today.  Let me just say that they are amazing! I've had several conversations with their staff over the phone and I was actually looking forward to meeting them today! They have been so helpful in answering my many questions and putting my mind at ease.

The first dentist required all children to be sedated and strapped to a board in order to get anything filled- regardless of how well behaved the child was.  That terrified me because Madelyn is laid back and very good at the doctor/dentist.  Can we say over-kill? Our new dentist doesn't sedate and only uses the board if absolutely necessary.  Also, I was not allowed back during the procedure at the first office, but I am at our new one.  Again, our prayers have been answered.

Please keep Madelyn in your prayers over the next few weeks as we prepare for her procedure.  She will have her fillings on Thursday, February 9th at 8:40 a.m.  If, for some reason, they are not able to do the fillings there because of how she reacts to the "happy gas" and drill, we will have to reschedule her appointment at the Children's Hospital where she will have to be put under anesthesia.  Please specifically pray that she can get all the work done safely at this appointment and that she does not have to go to the hospital.  Also, pray for peace for her so she just drifts off to sleep while the doctor does her work, and that she has a perfect and healthy outcome.

Thanks for reading and keeping our family in your prayers!



*(At her very first check-up, we found out four of her front teeth are affected by cavities.  Let me just say, I WAS DEVASTATED.  Now, I know there's bigger things to get my panties in a wad about, but teeth are a huge deal to me! I've had only two cavities in my entire life (due to sealants cracking) and couldn't believe that my daughter had twice as many on her first appointment! Let me just tell you, I felt like such a failure.  I couldn't believe that my daughter would have to undergo a procedure because of MY lack of care, especially when I tried so hard to do everything right: no bottles, no soda, teeth brushed twice a day, etc.  Anyway, we found out her cavities were because of the sippy cup of juice she had through out the day (come to find out, even 100% fruit juice cut with water, reeks havoc on teeth) AND she shares her daddy's enamel (or lack-thereof!).  We were properly schooled by our new pediadontist and she's only allowed juice at meal-time and now has water the rest of the day.  I am also learning to forgive myself for my mistakes as a parent, because none of us our perfect, right?)

No comments:

Post a Comment