Because of His crown, we can have ours.

“Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him.”

James 1:12

2.09.2011

Homemade Laundry Detergent 101

So last night I sent Sean on a scavenger hunt to find the materials needed to make our own laundry detergent. Here's a list of what you need and where you can find it:
From Wal-Mart:
-(1) 5 gallon bucket with a lid... $3.50
-Borax... $2.50
From Kroger:
- Washing Soda... $2.50
-Ivory soap... $1.20

*This makes 5 gallons of concentrated detergent at a time, but there's enough materials for at least 3 more batches!



Step #1:
Shred/grate one bar of Ivory soap into a dish.


Combine the grated soap with 4 cups hot water over medium-low heat until the soap dissolves and is melted. Make sure you stir constantly!


This is what your solution should look like:


Fill your bucket half full with hot tap water.



Add the melted soap mixture, 1 cup washing soda, and 1/2 cup Borax. Stir well until all powder is dissolved.



Fill bucket to top with more hot water. Stir and cover.



Let mixture sit overnight to thicken.

In the morning, stir mixture once more and fill a used, clean, laundry bottle half full with detergent then fill the rest of the way with water. Shake before each use.


I got to use my detergent more than I ever would have imagined today thanks to Madelyn's incident last night! At least I can tell you first hand that it cleans wonderfully! I add white vinegar to my rinse cycle instead of fabric softener and it serves the same purpose but is much cheaper. Good luck and happy soap making (I'll give you my recipe for breast milk cheese later)!
...Seriously, I was kidding about that last one.
Erin

1 comment:

  1. You go little Mom. Erin, you are missing a calling girl. You need to WRITE-

    Glad we aren't getting that last recipe! LMAO!

    Mary

    ReplyDelete