Because of His crown, we can have ours.

“Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him.”

James 1:12

10.25.2010

As for me and my house, we will celebrate Halloween.

Surely you've heard this before: "We don't celebrate Halloween because we're Christians".


My take on that statement: How could something so innocent as a child's night out be so wrong??


Obviously, there are many Christians that have concerns about Halloween. Some feel that it is rooted in evil and can't lead to any good. How do I feel? Well, since you asked I LOVE Halloween...in fact, it's my favorite "holiday" (and has been since I could remember). Perhaps it's because fall is my favorite season, or maybe it's the special feeling you get when you can transform into someone completely different for an evening. Whatever the reason, I am a huge fan of this fun-spirited night. Of course, I set limits for my children as to what they are allowed to dress-up as, what we decorate with, and what movies we watch (for example, ghosts, witches, devils, and the like are "off limits").


While at a festival this weekend, I picked up a phamplet from a local church. It was entitled: "God Loves Halloween". Well, knowing how I feel about this time of year, you can assume that this definitely peaked my interest. The minister at this church made some awesome points that I just HAD to share:


1- The Bible says that God detests witchcraft and sorcery and those who practice it (Deuteronomy 18:9-14). For most, the present day celebration of Halloween is not based in a personal belief in, or practice of, witchcraft or sorcery. To the contrary, it is exactly what it appears to be: a community event in the autumn that focuses on children. With the exemption of those who do malicious pranks (and this happens every other day of the year as well), Halloween is a wonderful event for kids of all ages!


2- In the 8th century, the Catholic church moves its observance of All Saints Day (a commemoration of martyred saints) to November 1 to "capture" Halloween for Christendom. This action made October 31 "All Hallows Eve", which later came to be called "Halloween". Thus, the church reinvented this pagan celebration as a Christian one....much like how December 25 was taken as the birth date of Jesus.


3- Jesus said he came into the world not to condemn it but through him, the world might be saved (John 3:17). It can be easy to point a finger at someone, judging them for doing things we don't like. Instead, the Christian thing to do is to love people regardless of that they do, and let God sort everything out later. When Christians oppose Halloween, all is does is make people who do not follow Christ think we are prudes! (I mean, is it just me who feels like I've been slapped in the face when someone says, "We don't celebrate Halloween."???)


4- (This is my FAVORITE point) Halloween, and it's most widely practiced form- trick or treating- is the one of the best events of good will. At what other time of year do neighbors walk up and down the street, stopping and talking to each other? I love the sense of comradery that Halloween instills in us as neighbors!


If you feel that Halloween is evil, then you probably should be careful about what you do on that night. However, please do not condemn what for most people is a nice night out with the kids. As for me and my house, we will celebrate Halloween (and serve the Lord)!
Happy Halloween!!!
Erin

1 comment:

  1. Erin, I love Halloween too. I agree that it is a time when people can be kind to children "not from our neighborhood." So many people complain about kids who are brought by car to trick or treat. I can see their point, but they are kids and just maybe if they witness or experience the kindness of strangers it will hold a nice memory for them for when they are older.

    ReplyDelete